Position: Machine Learning Engineer
Close date: Open until filled
vivoVerse, Inc., formerly operating as Newormics LLC, develops and manufactures advanced microfluidics, automation, and ML technologies to rapidly and ethically test toxicology/safety profiles of chemicals using C. elegans as a New Approach Methodology (NAM). With a new class of instruments, software, and services, we aim at reducing animal testing while providing rapid and cost-effective services to our industry customers for bringing their new products to the market.
vivoVerse is seeking a Machine Learning Engineer (ML Engineer) to join our multidisciplinary team of biologists and engineers and to contribute to the data analysis required for our image- based toxicology safety screening services. Personnel in this role will take part in the development, testing, and visualization of our in-house ML Model that powers the automated analysis needed for our toxicology screening services. The ML Engineer will engage with every level of our ML workflow, including: labeling/segmenting datasets and codifying best practices for doing so, building an API for interacting with our models and integrating it with other in- house software, and developing visualization of the performance of ML Models. We seek highly motivated individuals who can independently make progress on their own deliverables while still working closely with other scientists and engineers in a highly collaborative environment. In return for your commitment, drive, and enthusiasm, an attractive compensation package is offered.
The ML Engineer will be responsible for the development and testing of our in-house ML Model. Working closely with software engineers, biologists, and consultants, you will maintain and enhance our ML codebase by implementing solutions to challenges unique to our dataset. Additionally, you will develop visualization for results produced by our ML Model in order to benchmark performance and give deeper insight into next steps for tuning this ML Model. We are a small team with a highly integrated workflow and rely heavily on communication for our development process across all projects as well as for resource management. As such, strong cross-functional communication skills are critically essential for this role.
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in electrical engineering, computer science or engineering, or biomedical engineering. Holders of other degrees will be considered with significant machine learning experience.
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting of Machine Learning software
- Experience with deep learning packages – preferably PyTorch
- Familiarity with scientific computing packages
- Familiarity with manipulating tensors as applied to machine learning
- Experience with common Image Processing packages (e.g., NumPy, scikit-image, SciPy, OpenCV)
- Experience with data visualization for benchmarking Machine Learning performance
- A passion for development and implementation of new technologies in a startup environment
- Strong attention to detail and careful execution of tasks to accomplish the goals in collaboration with other team members
Position desired skills:
As a member of a startup, a person in this role will be expected to “wear many hats” and any additional skills you may have to offer that are not explicitly listed in this job description could prove valuable to the team. Please feel free to share any additional experience you believe might be helpful to our team in your cover letter. Some examples include the following:
- Image processing, especially of biological images
- Cloud development (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Database development and manipulation
The position will be open until filled. If you are interested, send a cover letter with your resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered ahead of applications that include a cover letter. If you are selected, the next step will be a web-based and/or onsite interview. The appropriate travel arrangements will be coordinated with the selected applicants in connection with the hiring process.
vivoVerse Non-Discrimination Policy:
vivoVerse is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. vivoVerse will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, under applicable law and as Federal funding application provisions allow.